Monday, February 20, 2012

The Reality of School

So, while we have enjoyed the realities of living in a third world country and find them humorous, usually, we struggle a lot with school.  I don't even know where to begin.  All I can say is that it is very different.  I am enjoying my students 100%, even when they are sassy.  We are starting to get more used to each other and I am getting used to the expectations and needs of each of the students.  I find it difficult to bring in materials that will be beneficial to them because they are so young that I need to give very specific rules for the activities.  It's fine but they also are new to outside materials and get a little excited when I do bring them in.  Usually the things I bring in are so basic but again, it's something totally new that they are not used to so they get over excited. This is getting better.  Today we spent a good 30 minutes talking about expectations and how to use the different materials, again.  I am hoping that it will help.  I know I will have to repeat it all tomorrow but for today, it worked well. 

The school structure is something I am not used to as well.  It's, different.  There is not much time spent on behavior.  We are starting too.  They went over this first term, but my kids need constant reminders.  They know how to behave, they just don't.  Example, today after school they were supposed to sit in their seats and sit with a book and read.  I was working with a few students in the back and really wasn't to worried about them because it was after school anyway, but someone was watching out the door and saw our teacher coming and yelled to the rest of the class that she was coming.  This was their sign to settle down.  So they know what and how they are supposed to be behaving, they just choose not to.  It is really difficult.  Again, we are trying to implement rewards for good behavior but it is a struggle.  It's really helpful that my teacher respects the fact that I cannot cane the kids to get them to behave so she helps a lot with taking away privileges.  When I am teaching, if there is someone she sees misbehaving she will take the disciplinary actions that I use as punishment.  When she is teaching, she does it her way.  It's really considerate on her part and I really appreciate it.

Culture is one thing that we are getting used to each other over.  Some of the comments we make to each other may or may not be appropriate to each other and it's all a matter of trying to understand each other.  I respect my teacher a lot.  I think we have an unspoken understanding of each other and it seems to get better each day. 

 I have more to say but am running out of time.  I just want to finish with some fun kids stories.

1. Today, I was really upset with my students this afternoon.  One of my students told me after, " Auntie Carrie, I know when you get upset."  I asked him when? and he said, "When your face gets all red."  haha That's the truth.
2. A few days ago I was showing pictures of my friends to my kids and then taking pictures with them and one of them made a funny face in the camera.  One of the other boys laughed at her and told her I was going to take the picture home to America and show all of my friends and they would laugh at her.  The girl told him that they wouldn't because they don't know her and if they do, who cares because they don't know her.  I thought that was a pretty awesome conversation between two five year olds.
3. Last week Rachel and I were sitting out in the front entrance talking and about 15-20 of her kids came marching out, in perfect unison, chanting, "We are GOoinggg to America!"  haha! That made us laugh.  They marched all the way through the front entrance all the way to the back.  Apparently they play "going to America" during lunch.
4. I found a Laura Ingles Wilder picture book and it was showing the different seasons.  I was trying to explain to them what snow is from the picture.  I told them that it's really cold! like sticking your hand in the freezer for a long time.  One of my girls asked if God lived where it was cold? I asked her if the picture looked like Heaven and she shook her head yes.  It was precious. All my family and friends living in the cold, remember that story while you are upset about the snow.
5. So, shit is an acceptable word to say apparently and I was taking a picture of one of my girls with her head wrapped and when she saw her picture she goes, "Awww, sheet!" Which is how they spell shit but it sounds the same.  haha She's five. It was hilarious!

Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment