Monday, March 19, 2012

Fun stories!

At some point I will blog more detailed observations of the school but until then, I have a few fun stories to share with you!

1. We have to always drink bottled or bagged water everywhere so we were at school and we were running low on water.  I asked a few of my kids if they could get some more from the canteen so they went.  One of my 5 year old boys came back with the box on his head and he goes, " Auntie Carrie, my head is paining me." He sounded so worn out and all he had was about 6 little bags of water in the box.  :) How I love them.

2. We had church at school for Ash Wednesday and you know, 5 year olds at church can get a little long.  I was sitting on one end of my students and my teacher was sitting on the other end.  About half way through mass one of my girls goes, "Auntie Carrie."  I look back at her and she is making a face at me!  I had to turn my head so she didn't see me laughing.

3. I made word family cards for my kids to practice when they are done with their work.  I am excited to say that they love using them.  For now I have them in a place that is easy to access for me but not for them so that I am not creating an easy mess for them or myself.  I started keeping some at the teacher's table so I can pull kids back to me to read them to me and not just to themselves.  Yesterday after snack I was putting something away and turned around and every single one of my letter bags was out on someone's table.  I was slightly frustrated at first because I was trying to get them all settled for the next lesson and it just wasn't working.  I asked them to please pack the cards back in the bags and as I was going to help one of my students she looked at me and goes, "Auntie Carrie, I'm reading."  :)  I just smiled and said, "yes, you are."

4. There was an incident that happened with a student and I got so mad.  He was disorganizing the other students counters and I stopped him and asked "Why?! You know you shouldn't be doing this.  Put them back and sit down." The next student that needed my help asked me if I could tie his shoes.  I felt so guilty for getting so mad.  It's so hard to remember they are only 5 and patience is the key.

5. When my students see me starting to get upset, instead of doing what they are supposed to be doing they, they go, "Auntie Carrie, how are you?" They melt my heart. :)

6. My students started to do high five, pound it, and blow kisses at me.  That's one of my favorites.

7. I was trying to show one of my four year olds how do make the sign of the cross.  I was wearing my cross necklace I wear every day and he looks at it, stops making the sign of the cross and goes "This is your Jesus Cross."  The five year old that we live with called it my Roman Cross.  Again, :)

8. I punished one of my sassy four year olds consistently for about a week and the following week he was behaving much better.  One day at lunch he was running one way and ran into a boy running the opposite way and knocked his chicken out of his hand.  He goes, "Oh sorry, sorry!" picked up the chicken, brushed it off on his shirt and gave it back to the other boy.  It was the funniest thing I have seen in so long.

9. I made name tags for the tables for Open Day and the kids were getting really excited about them.  One of my sassies asked "Auntie Carrie, where's my name?" I told him to just wait. It was coming.  He says, "ok." and two seconds later he goes, "I'm still waiting."

10.  I was talking to a student who wasn't following directions asking her if she knew why I was upset with her.  She told me yes and then told me the reason why.   I asked her how many times she thought I should have to ask her to sit down before she would get in trouble and she looks at me without missing a beat and goes, "five time."

11. One of my student's moms came in the other day and said, "Finally, I am meeting Auntie Carrie! I have heard so much about you! My son always says the white lady taught me...I asked him what the white ladies name was and he goes, Auntie Carrie!!"

Soon to come, how things are going now since I have been back.

No comments:

Post a Comment