Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cape Cost!

Oh my goodness, what a weekend!  Rachel and I traveled to Cape Cost this weekend.  It was about a 5 hour bus ride there but only 3 hours on the way back.  Welcome to Africa I guess, but we had a great time!  We met up with a guide person, kinda who was suggested to Auntie by a classmate of hers.  We were very lucky to have him.  We went to Kakum National Park. It's a canopy sky walk over the forest.  Really cool! Hard to explain. But it was a fun experience.

 http://ghana-net.com/kakumnationalpark.aspx

Then we had lunch at Hans Cottage.  It's this restaurant surrounded by a big pond full of crocodiles! So cool. We then stopped at Auntie's High School, Wesley Girls.  It's a boarding school. Very large. she was excited we stopped there. Next we were off to look at the University of Cape Coast. We didn't get to go inside at all but we saw the outside of a few of their buildings. It's very spread out but was very clean compared to other parts of the city. 

One of our favorite parts of the day was Elmina Castle.  This was one of the two castles that slaves were brought to before being sold to other countries, including, of course, the U.S. That was an emotional experience.  We learned a lot.  I had my slavery class last semester so much of it I had already learned but to hear the history of it and see where it was all started was unreal.  Our guide made the comment that from their villages, they came to Elmina Castle where life was worse, then to the ships where life was even worse and then to masters where life was even worse.  Hearing the stories about Elmina and hearing him say that was really depressing, but it was real.

After Elmina we went back to our Guest House, walked around Cape Cost with our guide, Seth, and had dinner at Cape Coast Castle Restaurant.  Really great food!  It was an exciting night. Ghana won their soccer game so shortly after we got back to our room everyone in Cape Coast paraded the streets.  It was so awesome to see the unity over a game.  Similar to Green Bay after the Super Bowl.

Sleep time and then Sunday was a day at the beach!  Auntie's grandson met us at the bus station and we took a couple tro tros down to the beach! Fun day.  The beach is beautiful! We plan to go back often.

I have to start wrapping this up but just a few fun stories to share about school.  One day after school I was practicing spelling colors with a few of my 5 year olds and this little 3 year old strolls into our classroom, walks up to me, touches my face and goes, "Color white!" It was precious! Another one of my students asked if I was born white.  lol How else to you explain why other than answering with a "yes, my dear. I was."

One more fun kids story.  Instead of asking if they can go to the bathroom they ask if they can urinate or go wee wee.  I have started to make a point to tell the kids to go right after lunch so they don't have to leave once they get into the classroom.  I was asking one of the girls if she had released herself yet and she looked at me and goes, " Auntie Carrie, I tried to wee wee but my wee wee won't come out!"  What can you do besides laugh!

Soooo with all of that, I am off! hope everyone is doing well at home!

3 comments:

  1. I loved the color white story! Hope to hear more fun sayings from the kids in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children say the funniest things... I'm glad things are going well for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie...I love reading your blog! It is so real (not that I know what real Ghana is like), but I feel like I am learning so much just by reading your experiences. I like how down -to-earth your blog is. Keep it up girlfriend! You are amazing Carrie.

    -Alyssa Wolan

    ReplyDelete