Saturday, January 14, 2012

I. Have. Arrived.

We are here!  We finally made it after a flight cancellation and then a delay.  It was a long few days of traveling but we finally arrived in Accra, Ghana yesterday morning around 9:00.  Auntie Agnes was at the airport to pick us up and we made the 20 minute trip from the airport to their home in the community of Abogba, Accra.  They have a large home that is surrounded by a brick wall. I believe there are four other families that live in the home as well.  They each have their own section of the home.  Rachel and I share our own bedroom with our own bathroom. We are able to lock our door as well.  Auntie Agnes has made wonderful meals for us. She made rice and stew yesterday, eggs, onions and tomatoes this morning, and fish, fries, kiliwillie (?), and boiled cabbage tonight.  Everything has tasted great!

Yesterday we slept, a lot, which made sleeping last night difficult.  The bed is really comfy though. It's a foam type mattress.  It's nice having our own bathroom.  Yesterday the water would run sometimes and not other times but they did something so that it works all the time now.

Nerves have definitely been a constant lately.  I keep thinking how I have never met my teacher, I have never learned in a classroom in Ghana and now I am going to be teaching in one?  When I met with my teacher from Aldo, I was thinking of lessons that I could teach and I felt comfortable doing so.  Right now, I know everything will be fine but I was so nervous about it, I couldn't sleep and now have a cold. Hopefully that will go away soon.  Rachel and I expressed our nervousness to Auntie Agnes and she was great.  She really calmed us down.  I am definitely excited to be here.  I came for the challenge, not knowing what to expect.  Not having the same accessibility to resources.  Our home does not have wireless but we were able to find the internet cafe. It's 1 cedi per hour which is about...I'm not sure but it's 1.6 cedi per dollar.  It's only about a 5 minute walk from where we are staying.  We also walked to the school today. That is not far either so that's nice.  We went to the store today for food and at first we were going to walk, but then a Taxi drove by and we took that.  It would have been a hike!  Maybe about a 5 minute drive but in the heat, it would have felt much longer.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment